HOMEABOUT USSHOP HERECROPDATESCURRENT CHALLENGESTIPS&TUTORIALS

Friday, January 1, 2016

Graduation Book
by Tammy Klingner

Good morning everyone!
Happy New Year to you all! 
 Hope you were able to ring in the New Year with some of the people you love.
 
Well I thought I'd kick off by sharing a book I created for my son's graduation from Primary School.  Yep he's off to High School (middle school) this year! Eeek! 
 
He graduated from his Primary School last year, and to commemorate the occasion I created this book.  The school does a wonderful job of hosting a graduation ceremony. 
As part of this they ask the parents to write a card/letter which they secretly slip into
 their graduation pack.
Of course, I couldn't just do a card now could I?? Nope I just HAD to create a book. Something for him to look back on and reflect on those years/friendships created whilst at Primary School.
 
(I'm warning you....this blog post has lotsa  photos).
 

 
For this book I used Cocoa Vanilla's Made of Awesome range. 
 I love the mix of colours and also the 'star' theme.
Plus it has a real 'tween' feel about it.  Perfect!
I love that I have papers, stickers, die-cuts, flairs and alphas that all co-ordinate!
 
 
I created this book by cutting a 12x12 chipboard/cardboard sheet in half, and then trimming these two pieces to measure 6x8". This formed the covers.
 I then covered the front and back of these with co-ordinating papers.
I added embellishments, popping quite a few of them 'up' by using foam tape.
 
 
For the inner pages, I cut various sheets of 12x12 paper from the Made of Awesome range into the same size as the covers (6x8").  I like working with this size as it simply means trimming your sheet in half, then turning it and cutting again at 8".  I love that I have little bits of co-ordinating off cuts, which are perfect for embellishing, matting photos etc.
 
When creating a book, I like to add in patterned transparency sheets.  I like the different texture it creates and also that you can 'peek' through to the next page.  For this project, I just used a couple from my stash.  I don't measure when I add them - I just trim it to where I think it looks good.
 
 
Look at my son's cute little hands, turning the page!
 
 
This next page has a photo of myself and my son, and I created a pocket which holds a letter that I wrote for  him.
I like to wrap twine around the pockets before I stick them in so I can add a little tag to the front.  So cute and so very simple.
 
 
This next page houses a bunch of little notes in another pocket. 
These notes were written by some of his classmates, and they are just beautiful.  I had organised it all in secret (along with the help of one of my son's teachers), and I was so touched by what I received back. 
 
 Being boys, I wasn't expecting too much - maybe some pictures or a joke or something, but when the teacher tucked them in my handbag, and I sat and read them, I wept with pure joy. 
Such beautiful words right from the heart.  Words to treasure forever
 
 
On the right hand side, I created a flap using a Project Life Card from my stash, and included  photos of his classmates and friends. 
 
 
I love creating little flaps by just adding photos together with just a bit of washi tape. 
 
 
I do this technique often in my Project Life album, when I have multiple photos I want to include.
 
 

The following page features a mini book that I created with all of the 'mini's' from his school photos.  I simply used Raven Bazzill, and sewed down the centre with my sewing machine before adhering to  the page of the book.  By using the sewing machine, it is super strong, and won't fall apart after a couple of years.



 Also, before I adhered it to the book, I added some twine underneath the mini book, and a brad to the front cover.  Then I simply wind the twine around the brad as a way of keeping it closed.  Again, so simple, yet so effective.
 
On the right hand side of this page, I added another transparency sheet.  I popped a photo of my son and my daughter together, and when you turn the page, I have created a pocket with a precious letter from my daughter to her little bother......whoops brother!
 
 
The final page in the book, contains another Project Life Card, which I have turned into
 a flap with a bit of Washi tape.
 
 
Underneath this one there is a pocket containing little notes from a few of his teachers. 
 Again these little notes touched my heart.
 
 
To finish off this book, I used my Zutter to create the binding, and then just added some co-ordinating ribbons to this.
 
I really loved working with this range. 
The Die Cuts and the stickers made it super easy to add clusters of embellishments.  
 
I hope you've enjoyed looking at this book.  I really loved making it, and my son absolutely loves it!  I also know that it will become something even more important to him as he grows older.
 
I'll be back next week!
 
Products used:
Cocoa Vanilla Made of Awesome Lucky Star Paper
Cocoa Vanilla Made of Awesome Boys Rule Paper
Cocoa Vanilla Made of Awesome Mixed Up Paper
Cocoa Vanilla Made of Awesome Rock Star Paper
Cocoa Vanilla Made of Awesome Directions Paper
Cocoa Vanilla Made of Awesome Awesome Paper
Cocoa Vanilla Made of Awesome Flair Buttons
Cocoa Vanilla Made of Awesome Die Cut Ephemera
Cocoa Vanilla Made of Awesome Sticker Sheet
Cocoa Vanilla Made of Awesome Alpha Stickers
Raven Bazzill  
The Twinery Charcoal Twine
12x12 Chipboard
Assorted Transparencies 
Zutter
Ribbon
Washi Tape
2 x Project Life Cards
 
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Just wow!! How beautiful! So much work, that looks fantastic. What a super cool keepsake. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea Tammy, great use of this fabulous range and a wonderful keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy this is just amazing, love how you have used this collection. what a wonderful keepsake.

    ReplyDelete